Sunday, June 04, 2006

Warren's School for the Competent

Yesterday i was at lianne's house for english tuition (her mum's an english teacher). So she made me write an essay from the 2004 SPM paper.

Essay topic:
(c) My Ideal School


Warren’s School for the Competent
After a good night’s sleep you wake up at 10am, take your time brushing your teeth, washing your face and having a proper breakfast. Then calmly -there’s no rush- you take a cab, or whatever mode of transport to arrive at school. You step out of the car eagerly awaiting another day of knowledge absorbing and look up to the gold name embossed on the high-tech modern looking building “Warren’s School for the Competent”

My school, the school which will be run by me will be nothing, nothing, like that of the common school you see today. My school will have one main difference: it will make learning fun, and may I stress here that I say “learn”, very much different from the commonly practiced, exam orientated, memorize and regurgitate system. The system that I will implement will focus on the student being able to absorb knowledge and most importantly knowing how to apply it –not just in theory, but in practical as well. Its education system will often be observed by highly-paid professionals in the field of education from all around the world. Hence, every year the system will be revised -doing away with the outdated and inadequate, and introducing newer more effective techniques. Thus, my school’s reputation for producing the elite of the country (or world) will forever be assured.

However my school’s unique education system will not be its only attraction. Besides boasting the best students, my school will also boast the best facilities. It will be fully-equipped with a gymnasium, Olympic sized swimming pool, squash courts, basketball courts, futsal fields, golf simulation bays, a 12-lane bowling alley and a field fully equipped with the proper athletic equipment, groomed daily by a team of gardeners. Sports facilities are only half of it though, I believe in making my school a haven for my students so that they love their school and view school as a joy rather than a chore, therefore increasing their love towards education. Non-sport facilities will be such as a cybercafés, an IMAX theatre, paintball fields and so forth, all for the comfort of my students.

With such facilities put at the feet of adolescents, would there not be chaos? What about vandalism? Misconduct? Misuse? Misbehaviour? Do NOT think that for a second that I will let my students run wild. My school will work on a strict disciplinary system based on respect – I respect them, they respect me. When asked about a night-time curfew on teenagers, Justice Barbara of the California Justice Department replied “What is this idea that you can curb crime by making all teenagers criminals? It is easier for a teenager to picture himself as being a criminal when he is first discriminated as one. They will be what you want them to be.” By treating teenagers as teenagers and trusting them with respect, responsibility and accountability they will naturally behave with such qualities. Of course I am aware this is a utopian idea. So if they do not behave, simply, they are expelled.

One would think that a school such as this would definitely cost one a tonne of money, being only open to the aristocracy, the high-class snobs, and the national royalty. No. My school will not be a snob house. I will not bite the bait of a blank cheque waved in front of me. My school will be free, but all the students in this school will be handpicked by my Board of Advisors and the final decision will be made by me. And the basis in which I choose my students will not be according solely on their academic results -I do not care if they manage to achieve umpteen ‘A’s in a public examination for that simply proves they are capable of studying. What I look for will go beyond examination results; I will look into the student’s character and their co curricular achievements. Furthermore, to assure only those who deem worthy are chosen, each student is given a “probation” period upon entering the school, meaning that for the first few months they will be under close surveillance.

Learning, should be fun. Learning, should be exciting. Learning, should be enjoyed. Warren’s School for the Competent will be a school which makes students want to learn instead of boring (whichever meaning you see fit) the brains of students out of their skulls. Warren’s School for the Competent would be my ideal school.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha. what a school. we shall all await the day warren opens it. of course, u'll need a helluva lot of money, but that shouldn't be a problem. :P
co-curricular achievements? u know, i'm not fond of that phrase. makes it sound as if u have to be the best of everything. wouldn't u just accept someone with varied interests?
and the probation just sounds scary.

but i look forward to the day. :D