Sunday, June 04, 2006

An Unexpected Visitor

So from homework given by auntie susan (lianne's mum) i'm meant to write an essay for every single SPM examination since 2001. And since mum says she's not going to go to Kuching til she sees me do some studies...i guess i gotta do something.

SPM Examination Paper 2005
Question 2
(c) Write a story with the title: An Unexpected Visitor


An Unexpected Visitor

It is always on dark and stormy nights like this…that remind me of that bright and sunny day when he came.

1

It was a hot sunny Malaysian afternoon, one I usually spend lazing around my apartment, too tired to move or do anything. That particular afternoon I was lying down day dreaming on my comfy bed in my air conditioned room.

Ding-dOngggg. The weird sound of my doorbell once again reminded me I’d forgotten to ask the electrician to fix it.

Ding-dO-dingg-don-ding-dOnnnggg. As if the doorbell wasn’t dead enough.
“Alright, alright! I’m coming, keep your shirt on!”

I walked towards the door and looked through the door hole to see an old man around his 60s wearing rather unusual clothing and carrying what looked like a very big chunk of metal in his hand. Usually, I wouldn’t let in senile men with metal things to hit my head, but something, something, in his eyes caught my attention and an unusual urge of curiosity made me open the door.

“Who’s this?”
“It’s urgent!”
“Oh, the toilet’s in the back.”
“No, no! I can’t believe they made me do this…”
“What?”
“Oh just let me in you bimbo”
I didn’t want the old man pee on my doorway so…
“Ah heck, c’mon in then”

As the old man walked into the room pass me I could see the man more clearly. He was a man of average size, a little shorter than I was. His features were sharp and coarse, as if this once carefree soul had been put through hard times that shaped his character. On his back was an unusual chrome backpack and upon closer observation I realized it linked down his feet and I could see its metal spine connecting through his arms.

“Hey man I don’t know what terminal disease ya’ got but the toilet is back there and after you use it, please just leave.”
“You idiot! I am not sick and I do not want to use the loo.”
He grabbed a chair as if the house was his and sat himself on it.
“Look, I am here on orders and there’s something very important to tell yo-”
Just then, the irritating sound of my doorbell rang again.

Ding-doong-ding-dong-din-do-din-do-dinnnnnnn. Okay I think it’s finally died. I stepped towards the door to open it when suddenly the crazy old man jumped on my back.

“Dude! I don’t know WHO you are but I ain’t into that Brokeback Mountain stuff you hear?”
“O just shut up, it’s them

Wooden splinters flew over my head and dust engulfed the apartment as my beautiful apartment door was blasted to shreds.

2

In a blink of an eye the old man did something I would never have imagined, he jumped to his feet and lifted me with one arm. He then ran to the nice 24th storey apartment view I had saved up for…and jumped out of the window. We fell.

“WHAT, ARE YOU CRAZY!??”

The old man ignored my words and instead closed his eyes and an expression of concentration came over his face. Is this guy trying to pee in the air? I could see it then, the height of the 24 storeys slowly dissipating and the thin strip of tar road looking ever more like a black river. Had that not been enough, weird looking people were standing at my broken window and laser beams were flying past my head. I closed my eyes and prayed that the Kancil at the bottom had a soft roof. I passed out.

3

I woke up disorientated greeted by a very clean hospital-looking room with white halogen light flooding the space and bouncing of the walls to produce a very sterile looking environment. Where am I? Is this heaven?

“No it is not” said a voice from the back of the room. I turned around to see the old man looking back at me.
“YOU! Who the heck actually are you?”
“Calm down son, I’ll explain.”

4

“The world ends in the year 2048AD, I know, it does not seem very far away at all. The world is not ended by man as often thought or even by celestial forces. Instead we are invaded by the Venushians.

The Venushians are a highly advanced alien race bent on destruction and domination, they are immortal however lack the power to reproduce or heal. It is for this very reason that they destroy planets and galaxies in order to harness the energy produced by an imploding sun or planet. Using such immense energy they are capable of rejuvenating their frail bodies and even creating new life. In 2048AD, Earth became their target.

Although by the year of 2048AD the human race is already far advanced from the present that you live in, we are still technologically inferior to the Venushians and our weapons are rendered useless against them. I have left an imploding Earth just to see you.

In the year 2048AD, the human race is on the forefront of time travel and a crucial individual is the man who leads this research. However when the date of the Venushian’s invasion arrives all hope of the human race’s survival seems futile. However, this man sees a way. By compressing all of modern technology into microdots he takes this information into the past and introduces it to the human race, hence forming HOPE, Humans On Peril’s Edge.

It may not be a very flattering name but it is very real. HOPE’s goal is to continuously import future technology into the past and to advance it so that when the day comes we will be able to prevent the Venushian attack. Yes, the humanoids we encountered back then are Venushians. However we are safe now as we are in a 4th dimension which I created right before we hit that Kancil. We are now in HOPE’s mother base.

I am of HOPE’s 3rd generation and I am passing on the technology of the future to you. The rest lies in your hands for you are the founder of HOPE. You are going to lead the human race to further advancement and it is you for which the entire of humanity’s fate rests on.”

5

We spent a few minutes in silence as I absorbed and digested what the old man had just told me. I closed my eyes and looked up.

“How do you know I will achieve all of this old man?”
“Because I am the future you.”
I gave the old man a close look up and down.
“Ewww.”

2 comments:

atikah said...

hhhaha. this is very well-written and I laughed all in the right places. nice little ficlet you got here. keep it up.

Anonymous said...

omfg warren, HAHA!! =D